Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Grandma

The past two weeks have been such a whirlwind. I don't even know where to begin. I guess I could begin with the most important one. My grandma. On the 13th, Cesar and the kids went to the movies. Eli and I decided to go visit my grandma. She is the one who watches Eli for me. Anyway, when we got there my grandma was having one of her dizzy spells. She has those every so often. My grandpa had given her some meds and rubbed her with some "Tiger Balm". I don't know how to explain that but it's kind of like Vicks. Anyway, five minutes i Elijah and I being there; I hear my grandma kind of yelling through the door. I wasn't sure if it was her. She doesn't usually do that. I thought it was her Thai soap operas. Well, long story short, (bcuz it is long), she was yelling. I went in to her room and it turned out that she had lost all feeling to her left side from head to toe. She felt very tired and weak.She was scared. We were all scared. My grandpa asked if she wanted to go to the hospital but I stepped in and said we needed to call 911. So, I did. Went to the ER and they did a CT scan and some blood tests and then the neurologist came and said she had an acute migraine. What the heck does that mean? He sent her home. A few days later she said her vision had been blurred and she was confused at times of the day. She couldn't stand on her own; her weight would lean to the left side. Went back to a check up with the neurologist on Friday and he wanted to do an MRI bcuz he was concerned. Tests came back on Monday and it showed that she had had a stroke. (Grrrrrrr was all I had to say). I was mad. They should have done an MRI in the ER that Saturday. She went a week without proper meds or treatment. Well, Tuesday came and it was about 11:00 pm when my mom called me. My grandma had started feeling tired and weak again and her left side started feeling tingly. But this time it included her right foot. Well, she ended up having another stroke. I went there and called 911 AGAIN. This time, they kept in the hospital until Friday. She is still trying to recover. All family have been by her side continuously. She misses Elijah a lot. She expresses it all the time. My grandma is more like a mom to me. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost her. I have not wanted the time nor would I want to think about it. So, it kind of has not soaked in yet. She has been healthy until now. She's 73 yrs old. I love my grandma dearly. I am the first of my family to become converted. Probably will be the only one (besides my kids of course). I know, pessimistic. But they are pretty strong in their buddhism. Anyway, if anything does ever happen to my grandma, I take comfort in what I can do for her later.

Well, please pray for us. I know I keep asking for prayers.

2 comments:

Kyle and Aly said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Seriously... I hate to be rude but the doctor should have known it was more than a "slight migraine". You dont become numb because of that... or at least not that I know of. She will be in our prayers. If you need ANYTHING... please let us know.

natalie said...

Hi, Vipha.

I apologize for failing to ask... how is your grandmother? I know it's been a while since your post, and that Mom has been watching Elijah in the mornings. I hope your grandmother is well/ better.

Your BIL,
Simon