Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Ellie "Bellie"

Ellie "Bellie" Guerrero
12.06.08-03.31.09





On Monday, I took her back to vet to get some more fluids. They gave her about 5-6 shots under her skin. Then I asked them to give her a penicillin shot in case she wasn't keeping it down orally. I also asked for some more anti-nausea meds and they gave me some to give to her by mouth. Well, I thought, this was progress. She still wasn't her self, but that was to be expected with this disease. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1556&aid=467 - (I can't get this stinkin link thing to work).
Anyway, we were supposed to give her those fluid shots in her back. I felt really bad about doing it but it was the only way she would get hydrated. We were force feeding her pedialyte and baby food still, too.

Well, when Cesar got home, he looked at her and didn't think she would make it still. He was going to call the vet. But I told him he needed to give her another day. She looked a little bit better. She still got up a little bit. So, he prayed and we all prayed and decided if we're going to do this, we need to do it right. We need to give her pedialyte every 20 mins and give her a little bit of food more often. She was still having diarrhea, but that too was to be expected from parvo. She came up to me twice wanting me to hold her in my lap...but I couldn't. I really wanted to.

We didn't go to bed until around 11 or so. She looked ok still. Cesar said if she looks as she did at the time or looks better, we'll keep trying. I woke up at 3 am this morning and found her scrawled over the floor and barely moving. The light in her eyes was not there anymore. I started to cry and didn't stop for a while. She was still breathing and whining a little. We thought she was going to pass soon so Cesar put her in a box with a little towel to keep her warm. Cesar said he would take her to the vet in the morning; to put her to sleep if she was still alive, or take her little body for the vet to handle. We didn't want to bury her in the backyard with the disease for our animals or any other animals that go there.

I didn't fall asleep for the rest of the morning.

Around 7 am this morning, I got out of bed to get ready for work. I was so tired. All of a sudden, I hear her whine and scratch the box. I asked the kids what was that? I thought she would have passed on already, but she was again, still breathing. She was already halfway gone, but still breathing...... :-( (this is where I am balling as we speak...). I just lost it. I woke Cesar up to tell him he needs to take her right away. The vet opens at 8 am. He was pretty tired, too. He stayed up to clean her area out. So, he said he would take her when he could. I made the decision to take her myself. I dropped off the kids, and waited anxiously until it was almost 8. I called the vet at 7:57 and they said to bring her in. I took her, signed the release form and left. I couldn't stay for the actual shot to put her to sleep. I wish I would've held her in my arms for a little bit when she wanted me to. I wish I could comfort her so bad.

She is now in a better place. We'll be reunited someday again. And when we are, she will be a disease free and a happy, awesome little girl that she is.

We love you Ellie!!!! You will be forever in our hearts....

And I, God, made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and cattle after their kind, and everything which creepeth upon the earth after his kind; and I, God, saw that all these things were good. Moses 2:25

7 comments:

Joy Sterrantino said...

I'm so sorry she didn't make it. Poor baby.

-Joy Rowley

Unknown said...

years ago we had a puppy pass away from parvo----it was so distressing to watch. I'm very sorry.

natalie said...

That's rough. I'm so sorry!

Kelsie said...

i am so, so sorry.

Peasblog said...

:-( so sad...

Ashley said...

I'm sorry, Vipha. It's good she's not suffering anymore. I don't think I could ever have a pet because I would feel for them like I do about my kids, and that would be horrible to lose one, especially a baby.

Kyle and Aly said...

Im sorry Vipha. My uncle had to put his puppy down not long ago for the same reason. She sure was a cutie.