Saturday, August 21, 2010

Welcome Evan Noah Guerrero

We finally welcomed our baby boy, Evan, into the world on Friday, August 6th, 2010. He weighed in at 5lbs 12 oz and 18 1/2 in long. He was a little early at 35 weeks. He had been trying to come since at 30 weeks, but the Dr's had to try to keep him in longer. Thank goodness for that. I had to get two steroid shots in the hip and take Procardia twice a day to help keep the contractions down. I also had to go on bedrest...which was really hard to do. We also made several trips to Maternal Obs. The one before last I had to get two shots in the arm, which burned really bad, because I was only 34 weeks along and they still wanted to try to keep him in longer. I was already dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced.

So, the next week was when the contractions finally felt different and I knew it was time. I had gotten up around 5am feeling really restless. I was walking around and counting the contractions. They were definitely stronger. Daddy finally got home around 6:07am. He was really tired; didn't get to sleep well the night before and was coming off a 12 hour shift. I had stopped taking my pills, per the Drs, and contractions were coming stronger, but Daddy said to go take another one so he can at least have a few hours of sleep. I didn't want to prolong this birth any longer than we already had. He was kind of not wanting to take me to the hospital. He was dead tired. So I told him, ok, then just drop me off and if it's the real deal, I'll call you. He didn't like that idea either...Lol! So, he told me, pray about it and let me know what you feel and if you feel we need to go then we'll go. He went to take a shower. I was kind of upset, so I wasn't really saying much. But, after he took a shower, he was more reasonable and even got ready. So, we left to the hospital around 7-ish. Kids were still asleep so we called my Mom to come stay with them.

Got to Maternal Obs, got checked in and the nurses checked my progression again and I was still at a 3, 3 1/2. Daddy went to go park the car; but when he got to the garage, he called me and said he couldn't hack it. He wanted to go home and sleep for a few hours. I said, well, give me 10 mins for the Dr. to come and let me know what was going to happen from here. 30 mins later, nurse came in and told me that we are going to move to labor and delivery and that Dr. Williams, my OB, said that once I dilate to a 5 she would break my water. I was like "WOOHOO!!" I called Daddy and he was dead asleep, but came up to the room so he could sleep on the sofa for a bit. The other room did not have a bed for him to rest.

Things kind of progressed kind of fast from there. I got my epidural around 10:30 am that morning and was all good from then. I was a bit scared of the epidural, but it wasn't as bad at all. I still wasn't dilating much. I forgot when they finally broke my water. But pushing starting about 3:45 I believe.


(me doped up...LOL)

So, Evan finaly arrived at 4:08 pm.


(Dr. Williams and Evan)

I pushed only 5 times. Since he was early, he was considered a preemie. They had the NICU team there just in case. He had a little hiccup in his breathing, but they watched him and he regulated himself pretty quickly. They gave him the vitamin K shot and he didn't even flinch at all. They had to test his blood sugar and he didn't even cry when the pricked his heel. The only time he did cry was when they would unwrap him or disturb him from his sleep. That was so funny. They tested the blood sugars three more times throughout the night. He still didn't even make a sound when they pricked him. I guess he has high pain tolerance or something. He is an awesome baby!

So, here we are, a family of 7 and I love every one of them! More photos to come later!


(Look at that hair!)

1 comment:

Kyle and Aly said...

He is so cute! Hope you are all well and getting better.