Monday, March 23, 2009

Dangerous Plastics

Last week was quite a scare for us.

We were just sitting eating dinner normally. I made some scrambled eggs and rice for Eli, that's his favorite, I think; he likes eggs a lot. LOL!

Anyway, so, I gave him his bowl with a plastic spoon to eat. He likes to eat by himself now. He's pretty good at it. Of course, we still have the occasional "all over the shirt instead of in the mouth" ordeal, too. But anyway, I was over by the sink and didn't notice anything, but Natalee said she saw his spoon fall down and she picked it up and it was broken in the middle. She showed Cesar. Then, I guess he started saying "ow" or something because Cesar called me over and said he thinks the broken piece is in his mouth. So, I turned around and went over there to him, Cesar doesn't ever poke in his mouth, don't know why, but I went and put my finger in his mouth thinking it was just on the side of it or something. But I didn't find anything so then he started pointing in his mouth sayin, "ow" again. I put my finger more towards the back and I felt it lodged in his back part of his throat. I wanted so back to stink my finger down more, but Cesar said we better not. He kept crying and so I got really scared because he started getting a little weaker and kept saying, "night, night" like he wanted to go to sleep. Well, during this whole time, Cesar was already calling 911. I told him I was getting really scared and the he told me I needed to calm down because scaring him would make it worse. Now, the piece wasn't that big, but it was pretty sharp.

That's the main reason we were scared.

Well, it took no time at all for the Fire Dept. to get to our house. Elijah hard already calmed down by now. I guess I did a little but, too. They checked him out, then MedStar got there right after they did. They said they really can't do much because it's not like they can see it in him. They suggested we go to the hospital, which were already going to go. We decided not to go with MedStar, (do u realize how much that could've been?). We went to the hospital right behind them leaving.

Anyway, long story short from that, we were at the hospital for three, almost four hours. None of the people we spoke to seemed to be too concerned. (nice to know). They thought eventually, it'll pass. Hasn't yet. It's almost been a week now.

Oh well, he seems to be doing great. He's eating normally and all.

End of story. :-)

3 comments:

Kyle and Aly said...

So did he end up swallowing the plastic piece?

VNG said...

Yes, he did...I think. It never came out of his mouth.

Peasblog said...

it will come out if he did, they will tell you the same thing if he swallows pennies, just wait for it to come out the other end... I haven't had that happen and I would probably freak out.
you needs some cute metal toddler spoons... I am ordering from itchiban soon (hint, hint)